When it comes to running a call ad, it is very important to track your call conversions. In this article, Call Conversion Tracking, we will discuss how you can track your call conversion ads within your Google ads dashboard to get good, real data that you can use to tweak your ad campaigns for better conversion.
Watch the video version of this article below:
Call Conversion Tracking
Are you properly tracking your Google call ads campaign? If not, I highly recommend you should, and in this article, I will discuss some important things that you should do when it comes to tracking call conversions. In Google ads campaign manager, it can be quite confusing how you track your call conversion tracking because Google ads count a conversion when it lasts more than the minimum length that you set. So it is very important that you properly determine the kind of conversion you are after and how long the conversion period is going to be.
How to recognize a lead in Google call ad conversion?
When it comes to leads, it’s not a one size fits all. Every business is different and in tracking your Google call ad conversion, lead conversion depends on your phone answering system. By this I mean for example, if you can answer every phone call within the first three rings then you can set conversion to a short period of time, say within about 30 seconds.
If there is a little bit of a call queue, then you may want to go with 60 seconds conversion time. So it is important to know and test your call system.
What Google features to utilize when tracking call conversion in Google?
You can filter shorter calls that do not convert so it will be easier for you to just look at the calls that are converting.
Google call forwarding number
This is a unique number from Google that you can utilize for free. The purpose of a Google forwarding number is it tracks all calls originating from your Google call ads.
The number provided by Google forwards all incoming calls to your business phone number. All the activities of your prospects are recorded and tracked including people who clicked on your ad, who visited your landing page, and other call data that can help you better analyze your ad campaigns.
Phone analytics is now available inside of your Google Analytics. You need to set-up the tracking inside of Google Analytics to get this report. The call conversion tracking only works if you’ve got your call extensions enabled.
How to set up call conversion tracking in Google ads
1. Sign in to the Google Ads account here.
2. Click Tools (upper right corner) > Measurement > Conversions
3. Click the blue plus button> Phone calls
4. Select calls from ads using call extensions or call-only ads and continue
5. In the category section, choose the most suited category from the drop-down. This section helps you properly segment conversions in your reports.
6. In the value section, you can enter a value for each phone call or you can opt to select “don’t assign a value”.
7. In the count section, take note that “every” action is best for sales while “one” is best for leads.
8. In the call length section, enter the minimum length in seconds for a call to be counted as a conversion.
9. In the conversion window, enter the number of days that you want to track conversion. You can select from 1-60. On average, we usually set 30 days conversion window.
10. Advance section: By default, the include in “conversion” is selected. If this option is selected, this will include data for this conversion action in your Conversions column. If unselected, then data will still be included in the “All Conversions” column.
11. In the attribution models, this will assign credit for each conversion. To learn more about attribution models, click here.
12. Click create and continue.
That is how you setup your call conversion tracking in Google ads. This is very easy to follow. Once you have properly set-up your conversion tracking for call ads, you can use the data to improve your campaigns and also improve your phone answering system. You will be surprised at how essential the phone call tracking is with your Google ads campaign.